Music Mondays: Crooked Still Review
I lean towards traditional bluegrass, but Crooked Still is one progressive bluegrass band that my wife and I like.
Crooked Still is an alternative bluegrass band, playing without a guitar and adding a cello. The band has recently undergone some changes, after cellist Rushad Eggleston decided to leave the band. I’m glad they decided to bring cellist Tristan Clarridge on board as the cello is a key part of Crooked Still’s hallmark sound and Clarridge can play quite well. Another new member of the band is Brittany Haas who is an excellent fiddle player. The fiddle really adds a lot to the band’s sound and that was another great decision.
Aoife O’Donovan provides strong and beautiful vocals, both live and on the albums. Corey DiMario remains doing a fine job on bass, as does banjo player Dr. Gregory Liszt.
Banjo player Dr. Gregory Liszt is certainly a fast picker, sometimes using a four-finger style. Given my preference for a generous portion of Scruggs-style licks, at first I thought Liszt’s style might be too modern for my taste. However, I found that a lot of his solos really worked quite well with the band’s sound.
Crooked Still has a new album out, entitled Some Strange Country . I have not purchased the album, although I did preview the tracks on iTunes. It can sometimes be difficult to judge a song based on a 30 second soundbite, but of the songs on Some Strange Country, I liked and purchased their version of I’m Troubled . I purchased their other three CDs.
Here are the Best of Crooked Still songs as chosen by The Low Tech Times. List shows band, album, and song:
- Crooked Still – Shaken By a Low Sound – Can’t You Hear Me Callin’
- Crooked Still – Shaken By a Low Sound – New Railroad
- Crooked Still – Shaken By a Low Sound – Oxford Town / Cumberland Gap
- Crooked Still – Shaken By a Low Sound – Lone Pilgrim
- Crooked Still – Shaken By a Low Sound – Come On In My Kitchen
- Crooked Still – Shaken By a Low Sound – Ain’t No Grave
- Crooked Still – Shaken By a Low Sound – Railroad Bill
- Crooked Still – Hop High – Angeline the Baker
- Crooked Still – Hop High – Last Fair Deal Gone Down
- Crooked Still – Hop High – Look On and Cry
- Crooked Still – Hop High – Shady Grove
- Crooked Still – Still Crooked – Tell Her to Come Back Home
- Crooked Still – Still Crooked – Florence
- Crooked Still – Still Crooked – Poor Ellen Smith
- Crooked Still – At Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival – Foggy Mountain Special
- Crooked Still – Some Strange Country – I’m Troubled