In a time where gadgets like AirPods especially fitted with a pair of microphones come in real handy. You can save a lot of time by simply plugging in these gadgets, but if you are someone who uses these on a daily basis, it could get really hard to live without them even for a day.
Both are programmed to automatically switch AirPods so you can use either one of them for making calls, listening to the audio, or even interacting with Siri, which is Apples’ virtual assistant that is part of the operating system of most Apple devices.
But what if they stop working?
Though they seem perfect from afar, just like any device, they are not. They can have a multitude of problems that might annoy the users. Here we will be discussing some of the major causes of why AirPods stop working all of a sudden, and then we will also get down to what you can do about it.
Some of the major issues faced by customers who use Apple’s AirPods
AirPods Microphone not working for calls:
Some people have lately been having trouble with their Apple AirPods microphone not working properly.
For example, during calls, the other person is unable to hear what they are saying due to the microphone being faulty and not working properly.
Both the AirPods have microphones, and either can be used. The AirPods microphones are located at the lowest most part of the pods.
Some users have reported hearing static during the calls. This is a common problem for any Bluetooth device. As the microphones are wireless, they can malfunction because of wireless interference while they actually have no technical fault inside them.
Pairing problems with the AirPods mic
Sometimes the problem arises that the AirPods are not connecting to your mobile device or tablet. In case you are having pairing problems with the AirPods then there are several things that you can do to try to connect to them.
- One of the techniques that you can try is putting them on charge for at least a few seconds and then taking them out again and try to use them again.
- The other trick that you can try is turning the Bluetooth on your phone off and then on again. In most cases, either of these steps should solve the issue and connect your AirPods to your phone.
- In the case when even this doesn’t work, you can try resetting your AirPods completely. This should solve the problem; if it doesn’t work, then it probably means that the problem is bigger and might need some diagnosis and you should take them to be fixed.
- The pairing problem also comes when you are trying to connect the pods to your computer. This isn’t a big problem for newer devices, but for the older devices, it can be an issue.
This can also be solved using the steps mentioned above.
If the above steps don’t work, then you can try opening Bluetooth settings on your computer and disconnect and connect them again.
AirPods mic not working properly for other apps like Siri, etc.
Some customers have even experienced that only one of the microphones stopped working, and the other was working but poorly, and due to this, they weren’t able to make the calls properly, but they weren’t able to use Siri either.
Call drop problems
Some people have the problem that the calls keep dropping when they take the calls with their AirPods. One simple solution that works for most people is using only one pod to take the calls.
If this trick doesn’t work, you can try and set the microphone for only one pod, either left or right. For this, go to Settings on your phone.
Select Bluetooth and go to the AirPods ion and click on the “i” icon on the side and select either left or right.
If the above solution doesn’t work alone, then you can also go to settings and disable automatic ear detection for the same pod for which the microphone is disabled. But this will mean that your phone battery will run out faster.
Issue with the volume adjustment of the microphone
Another issue with the microphone is that it might sometimes automatically adjust the volume of the speaker.
For instance, at times, it would make it so low that the person at the other end of the call or the audience in front was not able to hear what the speaker was saying.
This complaint was filed by a public speaker for whom conveying his or her message across the table to the audience is extremely important as it decided their performance and affected their image.
Battery running out fast
Some people complain that the battery of the pods is running out faster than it is supposed to. The pods have a life of 2 to 3 hours before they need to be charged again.
If the battery is running out faster than it is supposed to for the pods, it is most likely due to the automatic detection mode being turned off for the pods.
This mode uses higher power and can be remedied by turning the automatic detection on again.
What are the major causes of all these issues?
Cause of the volume adjustment issue
The volume adjustment issue is caused due to the AirPods feature of deciding automatically which microphone to use at one time as only one microphone is required.
This mostly causes a delay which results in the volume being low and the audience not being able to hear the speaker.
This is a very common issue, and people mostly don’t know why it happens, but now that you do, you can resolve it by using the methods that we will discuss below in the “How to deal with the above-mentioned issues?” section.
Causes of the pairing issue
The pairing issue isn’t a big one and mostly happens only due to slow processing or for other reasons like not picking up Bluetooth signals etc. this issue is common for wireless devices, especially if there is interference from other signals and devices.
The pairing issue can be fixed by identifying the device that is causing the interference and changing its location to stop the interference. Closing the Wifi will also help during calls, but this solution is not preferred for most users.
How can you deal with all the above-mentioned points?
You can resolve the volume issue simply by letting the AirPods know which one of the microphones to use, instead of letting it decide automatically.
You can do so by pulling one of the two microphones, either left or right and here’s how you can do that:
- Go to setting and then into the Bluetooth section
- Click on the i near the AirPods section and then scroll down
- Below you will see the microphone option. Tap on this option and choose either left or right AirPods to use for the microphone.
- Now one of the microphones will be disabled
- The AirPods will now know which one of the two microphones to use beforehand instead of deciding automatically.
This solution can also be used if the calls are dropping when you take them while wearing the pods, as mentioned above.
Using both pods causes the microphone to malfunction, so hanging the setting to only allow one to use to microphone is a good solution.
Resolving connectivity issues
Another issue faced by most users is the connectivity issue where the AirPods don’t connect with the device they are using. There are three major ways of resolving this issue that is discussed below:
- Turn Bluetooth off and then on again. This will reset the connection and will help in resolving the problem.
- It helps in situations where you are having problems pairing your device, or you are having problems attending calls with your pods, or there is static during the calls.
- Taking the AirPods off and putting them on charge for at least 10 seconds and then see if the pods work. This usually solves the problem
- If nothing else works, then fully resetting the AirPods can work. You can do this by pressing the button on the backside of the case for 20 seconds at the least. The light on the pods will flash, indicating the reset has worked.
- If none of the above works, then it is best to contact Apple support where they would be able to guide you better or going to the Apple store near you.
Resolving the Battery issue
If the battery is running out faster, it is most likely due to the automatic detection mode being off as this requires more power. You can turn the automatic detection mode on.
First, make sure the AirPods are active and connected to your device. Go to settings and tap the Bluetooth option. Find the AirPods option and tap the “I” icon. Switch on the ear detection mode from there.